The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) provides various social grants to South African citizens and permanent residents to support those in need. The agency’s flagship grant is the R350 Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant, which gained prominence during the COVID-19 pandemic as a temporary provision for unemployed individuals.
With millions relying on SASSA grants for income support, regularly checking the status of applications and payments is crucial. This article provides a comprehensive overview of how to check your SASSA status online, understand the status results, find payment dates, and resolve issues.
SASSA Status Check for R350 Grant
SASSA status check is an online service for applicants to verify their application status for the R350 SRD grant and upcoming payment dates. It only requires your ID number and the mobile number used during registration to access your status.
To check your SASSA status online, follow these simple steps:
- Go to the SASSA SRD Status Check website at SASSA.org.za
- Enter your 13-digit South African ID number.
- Input your registered mobile number.
- Click ‘Submit’ and your status will display instantly.
Alternatively, you can check via GovChat, SMS, WhatsApp, or phone call. On GovChat, register and chat ‘SASSA Status’ to receive your status. To use SMS, text ‘SASSA’ and your ID to 082 046 8553. For WhatsApp, save 082 046 8553, text ‘SASSA’, then ‘Status’ and follow prompts. Or call 0800 60 10 11.
Understanding SASSA Status Results
When you perform the SASSA status check online or via SMS, WhatsApp, or phone, you will receive one of the following grant application statuses:
- Pending: Your application is still being processed and verified.
- Approved: Your SRD grant application has been approved.
- Declined: Your application was rejected.
- Failed: Verification of your ID failed.
- Bank Details Pending: You need to submit your bank account details before payment.
- Reapplication Pending: You have not reapplied for the new grant period.
- Period Pending: Your application for the current period is still pending.
- Period Approved: Your grant is approved for the current period.
- Period Declined: Your grant was declined for the current period only.
- Cancelled: Your SRD grant has been cancelled.
- Information Required: You need to provide your ID and mobile number.
If your status displays “Approved” or “Period Approved”, you will receive an SMS notification with instructions to claim your payment. For other statuses, you may need to take further action like updating details, reapplying or appealing based on the specific status result.
SASSA Status Check for R350 Payment Dates
SASSA Status Check for R350 Payment Dates are scheduled monthly, with the specific payment day varying each month. Here are the R350 grant payment dates for 2023-2024:
- November 2023: 21-30th
- December 2023: 20-31th
- January 2024: 21-31th
- February 2024: 21-28th
- March 2024: 21-31th
- April 2024: 21-30th
Always remember to check your status regularly to confirm your payment dates. If approved, SASSA will send an SMS notification before payday confirming you can collect your funds.
How to Collect the R350 SASSA Grant
Once approved, you can collect your R350 payment through:
- SASSA Card
- Direct deposit into your bank account if you registered your details.
- Post Office branch
- Pick n Pay, Boxer, Shoprite, Checkers, Spar, Usave
- Cash Send
Your SMS notification will specify which payment method to use. Be sure to collect during the pay period as funds are only available for limited days monthly.
Why is my SASSA Status Declined?
If your R350 application is declined, common reasons include:
- Income or assets exceeding the threshold
- Receiving UIF, NSFAS or other state benefits
- Change in employment status
- Age not meeting grant criteria
- Failing eligibility checks or means test
- Providing incorrect application details
If you believe there are errors or your status is incorrectly declined, submit an appeal to request a review of your rejection.
SASSA Appeal for R350
The appeal process allows you to contest SASSA’s decision to decline your R350 grant and have your application reassessed. Here is how to lodge a SASSA appeal online:
- Go to https://srd.dsd.gov.za/ and register an account.
- Under the ‘Appeals’ tab, select ‘Appeal Application’.
- Complete all required fields with your personal details and application reference number.
- Explain why you are eligible for the grant and attach supporting documents.
- Submit your R350 appeal and supporting evidence online.
- Track your appeal status under the ‘Appeal Status‘ section.
You can also appeal through email, fax, post or in person. Ensure you appeal within 90 days and outline clear reasons for reconsideration with proof. If accepted, your grant will be reinstated.
SASSA Reapplication Process
Every month, your eligibility for the R350 grant needs to be reconfirmed through the reapplication process. Here is how to complete SASSA reapplication:
- Go to https://srd.sassa.gov.za/sc19/apply
- Enter your ID number and the mobile number used during your initial application.
- Click ‘Send OTP’.
- Input the one-time pin sent to your phone via SMS.
- Review and update your details if required.
- Read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Tap ‘Apply’ to submit your reapplication.
- Check your status regularly to track the outcome.
Reapply even if previously approved. You can also reapply via WhatsApp at 082 046 8553 by following the prompts. Failure to reapply results in your ‘Reapplication Pending’ status.
Why is my SASSA Status Cancelled?
There are various reasons your R350 grant may show as cancelled, including:
- Failing to reapply or complete status checks.
- Changes in your financial situation.
- Receiving alternate income over the threshold.
- Outstanding verification documents.
- Providing incorrect details eg bank account.
- No longer meeting the eligibility criteria.
- Expiry of the SRD grant relief period.
- Failure to collect payments for 2 consecutive months.
If your grant status shows as cancelled incorrectly or you need the grant reinstated, submit a SASSA appeal application to request reinstatement. Be sure to outline why your status should be reversed.
How Do I Update my SASSA Bank Details?
To change your bank details, visit your nearest SASSA regional office with:
- Your ID book or card
- Proof of your new bank account details
- Bank statement not older than 3 months
- Completed bank form
Request a ‘Banking Details Amendment Form’. Complete and return to the SASSA office with your documents. They will verify and update your account details so that payments get deposited into your new bank account.
Why is my SASSA Status Bank Details Pending?
‘Bank Details Pending’ means your R350 application is approved but SASSA is waiting for your banking information to pay your grant. To resolve this:
- Visit https://srd.sassa.gov.za/ and login to your account.
- Select ‘Grant Application Update’ and input your details.
- Under ‘Banking Information’, complete all fields.
- Agree to terms and conditions and submit your form.
- SASSA will confirm via SMS once your bank details are updated.
Alternatively, visit your nearest SASSA regional office to update your account details in person.
SASSA Status Check Failed – What Now?
If your SASSA status check fails, it indicates an error in verifying your ID number against Department of Home Affairs records. Reasons include:
- Incorrect ID number provided.
- Mismatch of your ID details in SASSA and DHA databases.
- Invalid or non-existent ID number.
- SASSA system error.
To resolve, first double check you are entering the correct ID number. If the problem persists, visit your nearest SASSA office with your ID book to validate your identification in person. Alternatively, call 0800 60 10 11 to speak to an agent who can assist in verifying your ID.
Make sure to carry original identification when visiting SASSA offices. Rectifying any mismatches in your personal records will enable successful status checks.
SASSA Status Not Received – What To Do
If you have applied and been approved for the R350 grant but have not received status updates or payment, there are steps you can take:
- Firstly, perform a SASSA status check online to verify your latest status. This will confirm if your grant is active and whether funds have been released for the current period.
- If your status is approved and payment processed, but money not received, call your bank to verify there are no issues from their end.
- Double check you have the correct mobile number registered with SASSA, and that your phone has signal and can receive SMSs.
- If there are no SMS notifications after several days post the scheduled payment date, contact the SASSA call center on 0800 60 10 11 for assistance.
- Visit your nearest SASSA office with your ID to inquire in person – take any application reference numbers.
- Update your contact details if your mobile number is incorrect to re-enable SMS notifications.
- If you have selected the Post Office for payments, contact them directly regarding delays or non-receipt of funds.
Continuous follow up is required if your status shows approved but you have not received grant funds in your account or at the Post Office. Resolving any issues promptly ensures you get paid without further delays.
If you need to check your current SASSA grant balance, there are a couple options:
- Via your bank account app or online banking – your balance for accessed R350 funds will reflect here.
- Dial *120*3210# to check your SASSA card balance using SASSA’s balance inquiry service on your phone.
- Call the SASSA call center on 0800 60 10 11 to speak to an agent who can check and communicate your available balance.
- Visit your nearest SASSA regional office with your ID to have an official representative check and provide your current balance in person.
- If collecting via Post Office, your available balance will reflect on their systems when you attempt to withdraw funds.
Your SASSA balance indicates the remaining funds you have available to withdraw for that month’s SRD grant payment. Checking regular helps prevent overspending the grant amounts.
SASSA Call Center Numbers
Here are the main SASSA call center numbers to reach agents who can answer queries and assist with grants:
- 0800 60 10 11 – Toll-free SASSA call center
- 012 441 6000 – SASSA head office number
Agents are available on weekdays between 8am to 4pm. Have your ID and application details on hand when calling. For emailed inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checking your SASSA status regularly through the online portal, SMS, WhatsApp or call center is vital to track your application outcome. Understanding the different status results enables applicants to take appropriate action. Those approved for the R350 grant can locate the scheduled payment dates and preferred collection methods.
For unsuccessful applicants, solutions include updating details, appealing decisions and reinstating cancelled grants. With the proper status check process, applicants can ensure a smooth and stress-free SASSA grants application experience.